These 5 options for baby gates will keep your little one from getting into trouble
Once your child gets moving, you’re going to need to make sure you’ve finalized all of the babyproofing for your house. At the top of the shopping list are baby gates. They keep roaming kids from falling down stairs and getting into places where they can be hurt by dangerous but common household items.
As you’d expect, not all baby gates are made the same. Below is a list of some of the top-rated baby gates of the year according to Amazon.
General rules for choosing the right baby gate
Before you look at specific types of baby gates, its a good idea to stop and consider some criteria for what makes some gates operate better than others. At the top of the list is a gate that attaches firmly to the area where it is mounted. You don’t want the gate to give way as your child is bumping into it or putting any amount of their weight on it.
In addition, when choosing a gate, you want it to be able to intentionally open and close easily, and if you can open it while carrying other things, that’s even better. You also want the gate to have an auto-close feature so that it isn’t accidentally left open. Lastly, you want it to be mounted in such a way that when it is removed, it doesn’t look like anything was ever there.
Top 5 options on Amazon
Before you look at specific types of baby gates, its a good idea to stop and consider some criteria for what makes some gates operate better than others.
Rated at between four and five stars, these are some of the top-rated gates on Amazon. Pricing is between $35 and $125 dollars. Be careful not to shop according to price alone, however. Sometimes it is worth paying a little bit more for the features and peace of mind that you want.
- Cumbor auto-close safety baby gate: This durable baby gate features an auto-close function and a double-lock safety release so that curious toddlers can’t accidentally open it up and let themselves through. It is also easy to install.
- Dreambaby Chelsea: This gate also has an auto-close feature and comes with extensions so that it can more easily fit into doors that have a variety of widths. The easy-open mechanism allows for one-handed release of the gate if you need to get through it quickly. If you want to keep the gate open for an extended period of time, it retains a “smart stay-open” feature.
- Regalo Superwide adjustable gate: If you’re looking for a gate to close off an extended space — such as the entire width of a room — this is a great choice. The durable gate will stretch out to a whopping 192 inches and includes a safety locking feature. As a bonus, it can convert to a rounded, enclosed play yard if you need it to.
- Kingmazi safety baby gate: This gate earned a full five stars from reviewers. It is not only durable, but it has both wall-mounted hardware and suction cups for extra security. It also has multiple safety features and a six-inch extension kit that is included with purchase.
- Evenflo expansion walk-through room divider gate: This is one of the least expensive and most traditional gates in the group. It is basic, but it gets the job done and has high reviews. It has a woven pattern and is made of plastic and wood with a four-point hardware mounting system.
A deeper dive – Related reading from the 101:
- Ultimate checklist for babyproofing your nursery | Parenting 101
Here are some great ways to make sure that your nursery is as save as possible for your baby
- When do babies start talking | Parenting 101
As your baby starts to develop, they’ll be moving more and doing their fair share of babbling. When does this lead to language? We’ve got the details.