Nintendo Switch is fun for the whole family (adults too)
It’s been decades, but Nintendo is back on top with the console that’s taking the country by storm. If you haven’t researched the Nintendo Switch, then you’re missing out on the most popular gaming system for both kids and adults.
Why Nintendo Switch?
With schools closed, offices shut down, and a country in quarantine, video gaming is one of the best ways to pass the time (and enjoy the heck out of it). Pay less, and enjoy the Nintendo Switch, which is the most dynamic and fun gaming console on the market. There are games designed for both adults and kids, as it’s a great way to bring the family together. Here are some of it’s best features:
- Dynamic console – What separates the Nintendo Switch from Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC gaming, is the fact that you can play games in handheld mode, table top mode, and on TV. This means you can play on the go, in your home, or out back while laying on a lounge chair.
- Joy Con Controllers – Perhaps the most unique feature of the Nintendo Switch are the Joy Con controllers. When attached to the console, game play is handheld, similar to the original Game Boy. Detach them for two player games, and set up the console on a table-top. If you have a high-speed HDMI cable, you can even plug it into your TV, and play it like the original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).
- It’s affordable – The Nintendo Switch is about $300, and that’s a bargain considering the fact that you can choose from nearly 2,300 different games. This is where the real value comes in, as some games cost under $20. If $300 is too steep a price for you, try the Nintendo Switch Light, which retails for $200.
Nintendo Switch games for adults
You’re the one who’s making the purchase, so let’s start with the games that will make adults swoon. We no longer live in an era where gaming is a foreign concept to adults, as we all grew up playing the original NES, or some other console. The Nintendo Switch enables adults to return to the classics, play new versions of classics (like Super Smash Brothers: Ultimate, which has every character in series history), and of course, new adventures altogether.
- Nintendo Switch Online – Nintendo Switch Online allows you to play every NES or Super NES game there ever was. Did you get that: Every single game! Revisit the old classics such as The Legend of Zelda, Tecmo Bowl, and Golden Eye. Family plans cost $35, or it’s $20 for an individual for an entire year.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – This new version of an old classic combines everything that made Zelda great, and adds so much more. Adventures are hard to come by these days, so why not embark on one in the virtual world. Gamers describe this latest quest for Link as a reinvention of the series, as the story unfolds with new challenges never seen before.
- L. A. Noire – Since we’re talking about adult games, let’s chat about one with adult themes. L. A. Noire is a detective game that takes place in Los Angeles in the 1940s. Attention to detail is huge, as the developers at Rockstar Games focused on transporting gamers to a different time and place.
Nintendo Switch games for kids
With kiddos out of school, parents are rushing to find different ways to keep them occupied. The Nintendo Switch is a great option for this reason, as they’ll be gaming for hours (or as long as you let them). It comes with parental controls, and it’s also a great way for kids to connect with their friends, as Switch Online allows play with others in the virtual world. Here are some of the best games:
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – The Verge describes Animal Crossing as “the video game equivalent of a relaxing getaway …” The game involves building a community from scratch in your own deserted, private island. You can visit other communities too, built by your friends or family members. It’s such an escape (tropical beaches and jungle), you just might want to buy it for yourself.
- Fortnite – Unless you’ve been living on Mars for the past few years, you certainly have at least heard of Fortnite. This first shooter game is the biggest game in the world, as it’s migrated from PC and onto gaming consoles. We’ll get to bundle packages and accessories in a moment, but the game gun controller makes it an infinitely better gaming experience.
- Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield – What could be more nostalgic than a return to the characters that seem to always find a way into our lives? Well, share that with your kids, and make a family connection. Get one, or both, as each is similar in game play, but offer different experiences. Here’s a tip: You can trade games with a friend online, but you’ll need a Nintendo Switch Online membership.
Virtual Reality (VR) and Nintendo Switch accessories
- VR experience – We’d say that the VR experience is the future of gaming, but the fact is, the future is now. VR goggles are under $40, and let’s face it, it’s time to escape. Animal Crossing feels like a vacation, and how much fun would it be to play Super Smash Brothers in an entirely different way?
- Nintendo Switch accessories – We could fill another page with all the awesome accessories you pick up for your Switch, and the hits just keep coming. Nintendo has manufactured tennis rackets (actual rackets, unlike the Wii’s remote control wands), a steering wheel for driving games, and of course, the gun game controller.
Days are long, and it’s nice to have options to keep life moving forward, and making it fun! The Nintendo Switch is a fantastic way to do that, but it’s all about finding right the right games, and the right accessories, as Nintendo has created something that has a world of options.